Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 1 - getting a feel for the area

    January 3 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 73 °F

    Today we got a feel for the area around our apartment. A fair amount of walking, along with trying the food and drinks at some local establishments. We are asking for recommendations from the locals we meet.

    We started off with breakfast at Carolin Cocoa Cafe. It's less than a block from where we are staying and had an excellent menu: healthy, well plated, and very tasty. We got there at a good time, there was soon a wait for tables.

    After that, we did the 10:00 free walking tour. Stops included the main church and the public market. We did get to taste a few local delicacies.

    We chilled out for a few hours in the afternoon and then headed to La Joyita Cantina for some beer and tapas. The tapas were complimentary and very tasty. This place was a recommendation of our tour guide from the morning walk when I asked him where he would go. Locals outnumbered the tourists. The place was a dive bar that I am sure we will be back to..... Multiple times.

    Later in the evening we ventured out for dinner at NenaNena. We both had enchiladas and they were great. We sat out back in the courtyard after a few minute wait for a table. While you waited for your food they brought out a little game trip play. The loser had to drink a shot (some cherry liquore, not very good).

    We capped off the evening with another walk, venturing to streets we hadn't been to yet. We came across a bakery where we bought a loaf of almond bread for breakfast, along with a ham and cheese bread.

    Once home, we weren't long out of bed.
    Read more