Satellite
Show on map
  • Orisson to Burguete

    September 14, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We enjoyed a very good stay at the Borda. The young owner bloke bought an old farmhouse and barn and renovated it beautifully. He cooked a very good dinner and made us all say a bit about ourselves over the community meal.

    There was a young Korean newlywed pair; a group of 8 French friends of retired age who walk part of the Camino for 2 weeks every year; a very friendly and soon-to-be-retired business person from Portland OR, Lisa L. with whom we had many a good yarn at the albergue and along the track. She’s an expert long distance hiker and fine company.

    After a good breakfast we left about 8am and climbed for 4 ½ hours to the pass at the top, elevation 1430m. From the top we could see Burguete, our destination for the day.

    From there it was a pretty fast descent into Roncesvalles. After a brief chat with Lisa who was lodging there we parted company and walked another 2km or so to our albergue, the Lorentx in Burguete-Auritz. (The double barreled name has the Castilian Spanish name first and the Basque name second.)

    The scenery all the way was quite spectacular and in very fine dry weather. Just a great walk. It’s all farmed country, sheep, cows and a few horses. Astonishingly steep in places.

    Upon arrival at our lodging the next urgent priorities were shower, laundry and beers. Later on we’ll find a good feed.

    The toughest hiking is behind us and all dodgy knees seem to be holding up. One toenail of Kevin's is probably doomed.
    Read more