Satellite
Show on map
  • Burguete to Zubiri

    September 15, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We left Burguete about 9am after a coffee and croissant at the bakery.

    The initial walk was through beautiful dairy farmland with the lower peaks of the Pyrenees looming behind meadows with horses and cows.

    Espinal just a few miles out was time for a café con leche and a chat with fellow pilgrims. Espinal is a beautiful town.

    We made another stop at a great cafe right on the trail at Bizkarreta-Gerendiain. We refueled there with a tortilla de patatas, a potato, cheese and egg tart, and a cold drink.

    Then we did quite a bit of climbing on a dirt and rock track until we found a food truck where the trail crossed the road about 5km short of Zubiri. We stopped for a cold drink.

    The last bit was a very tough downhill slog on a rough and rocky track. Kevin's dodgy right knee started complaining but on the opposite side to the usual. It’s trying to be versatile in its dodginess I guess. We took it slowly and arrived at Zubiri around 3:30pm.

    We have a great room here: two beds in a room in a very nice apartment with 2 bathrooms and laundry equipment. We’re sharing the apartment with 2 Irish couples from Wexford we’d noticed on the track since Orisson.

    An excellent dinner at this place https://hostalgautxori.com. Food and service highly recommended. I guess it was Navarran Basque cuisine. A short walk from centre of town.
    Read more