Satellite
Show on map
  • Burgos to Hornillos del Camino

    September 29, 2022 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    Today we covered 21km, which is in our comfort range of about a half-marathon per day.

    We left Burgos about 8am after an improvised breakfast in our room of juice, yoghurt, cereal cookies and a massive chocolate croissant, determined to avoid running low on fuel like we probably did late yesterday.

    It was a pleasant walk of about 5km to the edge of Burgos. First through the central cathedral area, then along the river walkway for a while, and finally through the University of Burgos precinct as 9am lectures were about to start. The university has some very old and some very modern buildings.

    There is a killing to be made parking a food/coffee truck right there but, alas no coffee there as we passed through. Sadly we had to walk another 7km to Tardajos before we could self-caffeinate. We stopped for coffee and a sandwich/tortilla there.

    We were sad to find we would not be in Tardajos for the annual “Day of exaltation of the potato” on October 2 but we intend to be there in spirit on the 2nd.

    Then it was 2km or so to the village of Rabe de las Calzadas, which has lots of very large murals painted on the sides of buildings, many illustrating a bible quote.

    Leaving Rabe it was quite a steep climb on a wide dirt track for several kilometers to a ridge with many wind turbines. It became fairly windy and rainy in the ascent so the ponchos were donned again. I think we reached an altitude of about 940m above sea level.

    Then things flattened out and the weather cleared nicely as Hornillos del Camino was revealed a few km away, tucked into the next valley.

    We checked into Casa del Abuelo. It is very good and has a bar where we downed a couple of beers. Also here are 3 generations of an New Zealand family, doing the Camino with two infants in pushers. Hats off to them.

    Every day here the San Román church offers a Mass and blessing for pilgrims so we attended. Many countries represented. It was nicely done by a priest with a very good singing voice.
    Read more