Satellite
Show on map
  • Castrojeriz to Frómista

    October 1, 2022 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 4 °C

    Today was a 26km day, bigger than we prefer. It was mostly shadeless and sunny all day but at least it was not too hot. I wouldn’t enjoy it in August.

    We left Castrojeriz about 8am after breakfast where we stayed, at the Hotel Iacobus.

    2km west of town there was a steep climb rising 150m vertical in a 12% grade to get to the top of the Alto de Mostelares. Very good heart starter, was that climb. We paused to catch our breath and admire the views.

    Then it was a steep 80m descent down the other side into more meseta-like countryside.

    We stopped for a snack at a donativo truck (“pay what you think it is worth”) parked at a shaded rest area, then on into Itero de la Vega for lunch.

    Soon after lunch we crossed a river and entered the province of Palencia from that of Burgos. Two more provinces after Palencia on this walk: Leon and Galicia.

    A shadeless march took us into Boadilla del Camino where a cold drink and a foot airing were needed.

    From the outskirts of Boadilla to Frómista we walked beside a section of the Castilian Canal, an 18th century transport project. It was fairly well shaded most of the way by rows of tall trees.

    We checked into the Oasibeth hotel rural, which is a nice place. We enjoyed an excellent fixed price 3 course dinner in the hotel restaurant.

    A rest day in Frómista to give our well worn feet and legs a chance to refresh and to celebrate Kevin’s birthday. It I was nice to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast and catch up on a few domestic chores like washing hiking clothes.

    Being Sunday we attended Mass at the Gothic 15th century church of San Pedro. The rather long Spanish sermon didn’t do much for us.

    We ate dinner tonight again at our hotel with several other pilgrims. We first met Levana way back in Zubiri and Chris in Los Arcos and have have crossed paths with each at various points along the Way. By far the fittest at the table was 76 year old Allen from the Peak District in the UK who is averaging 40km plus per day.
    Read more