Satellite
Show on map
  • Mansilla de las Mulas to León

    October 8, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Finally today we saw the last of the Meseta walking from Mansilla to León and already the landscape is becoming more featured and interesting and mostly corn fields replacing the wheat.

    We crossed the Esla River (there must be a connection) leaving Mansilla and walked under light cloud on a wide gravel path for about 12km. Our company for most of the time were Jens and Kristin a younger retired couple from Denmark. Our Danish is non-existent but their English was excellent and they were good company for a couple of hours. They have walked and cycled all over Europe.

    We had anticipated not walking all the way in to León as the last 6km is on hardtop concrete and bitumen through industrial areas. So we completed the day’s relocation with a very informative taxi driver who told us about a festival in León over the weekend.

    We checked in to our digs, cleaned up and walked through lively Saturday afternoon streets of the old city towards León Cathedral. No sign of the locals doing siesta with every bar, cafe and restaurant occupied. León’s cathedral Santa María de Regla, is an extraordinarily beautiful building outside and in.

    We came out from early evening Mass at the Basilica of San Isidoro to find the festival in full swing. The streets are thronging with families and all food and drink establishments are open with extra outside seating and hundreds of stalls are selling everything imaginable.

    But time for bed. We walk tomorrow.
    Read more