Satellite
Show on map
  • Villar de Mazarife to Villares de Órbigo

    October 10, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    A short day today, just 17km.

    We had a good early breakfast at the albergue and were out the door about 8am. By the time we left the town there was enough light to see.

    We walked about 7km beside a dead straight stretch of road. There was almost no traffic so it was not so bad. Then after a snack it was 3km more on a dirt road between corn fields to Villavante. We had coffee and croissants at the Santa Lúcia albergue there.

    5km further on we found Hospital de Órbigo, with a long medieval bridge leading into the town. Lunch there in a restaurant after a fruitless search for an ATM (cajero), and replenishing a few necessities from the supermarket.

    Not concerned about the ATM as we go through Astorga tomorrow. It is a bigger town and sure to have one.

    And finally 2km out the dirt track brought us to Villares de Órbigo. It’s a very quiet rural town. We were greeted by Martha who runs the El Encanto albergue. Great place and very pleasant hostess.

    More great cool cloudy walking weather, if a bit humid toward the end. It looks like it will rain here tonight, but weather for 6 days ahead looks pretty fine and dry.

    We had the pilgrims’ dinner at Arnal’s Restaurant and Bar up the street. Huge bowl of soup, large slab of steak with salad, bottle of vino tinto, 26€ for 2. Should help avert iron deficiency for the road ahead.
    Read more