Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    The Caribbean coast: minca

    February 16, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We flew up to the Caribbean coast im order to go to Barranquilla carnival. The vibe up there was very different to the warm welcoming vibe that we had previously only felt. We stayed a day in Santa Marta and felt very overwhelmed by the heat, the 98% humidity, the really loud and aggressive traffic and the unfriendly people. We decided to cancel our air bnb booking for carnival because Laura decided she didn’t really want to be in the heat of a city for a long time.

    We escaped the heat of the coast and headed up to a mountain town called Minca, which was cooler. We were in the mountain range that is the highest coastal mountain range in the world. The hostel we were staying in was a 40 minute ride away from the town so we were truly in the middle of nowhere. The hostel was stunning and had amazing views out to the coast in the distance. It was so peaceful and we had a great time bird watching. We even saw a toucan that was yawning! We went on a walk to a cascada called el jaguar, which was so stunning and the best waterfall we have both ever seen. We had it to ourselves too. It was really great to use our grayl water filter using water from the fresh freezing cascada.
    Read more