Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Ghost Tour

    July 11, 2015 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Tonight in York we went on a ghost tour. York has been labled things such as the 'most haunted city in Europe' and 'the city of a thousand ghosts', the city holds a lot of violent history which is why they belive there are so many ghosts. The guide was great, he has my complete attention as he truly believed what he was saying, he told us a few stories here are two of my favourites.

    1) The Minster, which stands towering over the city, is said to be haunted by Seamus the dog, whose barks echo through the halls at night. Legend has it that Seamus and his stonemason master worked on the Minster when it was being built. Other workers did not like the pair so one night decided to brick Seamus in behind a wall. With his master unable to find him, Seamus died alone terrified in the darkness, his barks never answered.

    2) In one of the houses behind the Minster, another ghost wanders the upper floors. A family that had moved into the house quickly became aware of a strange presence. A crying sound would come from the children's bedroom upstairs and people who entered would be overcome with feelings of sadness and regret.

    The house on College Street where the crying girl haunts the upper floors. The girl had lived in the house in the late 14th century. Just six years old, her parents had died from the Black Death in the family home. Fearing she too had the disease, the child was locked in with her parents' bodies by locals. However, she was not infected and after the doors and windows were boarded up, she slowly starved to death all alone.

    (www.ibtimes.co.uk)
    Read more