Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    20. Museum

    June 8, 2023 in Nepal ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Another really sunny and hot day . We started the day by walking down the river front slowly before grabbing a taxi to the museum . It was really funny as all the taxi drivers were quoting very high prices at first, so we just walked on . Magically they halved their prices and started fighting over who would.take us .
    We arrived at the museum about 15 mins later , the gardens to the museum were really pretty , with lots of botanical trees surrounding us and fish ponds .
    The museum was huge, with lots of old mountaineering equipment on show and lots of information about all 14 peaks above 8000 m .
    When we entered , we were advised to watch a short video to educate us on the people, culture and mountains within the kumbu region. The video was supposed to be about 20 mins long , but the projector overheated about half way through- we enjoyed what we saw 🤣.
    The museum also showcased indigenous habitants of the mountain regions of Nepal.
    There was a section on the endangered animal species in Nepal, with some very amusing taxidermy on display. Of course this section included the yeti, which is thought to live in the mountains . They look like very tall gorillas with pointy heads. Mountaineers are thought to have seen yeti footprints in the snow whilst out hiking - but there are lots of theories surrounding its existence.
    Afterwards , we walked around the grounds of the museum and had a cold drink in the shade . We headed back to lakeside for a bite to eat and a quick freshen up at our hotel .
    We want to kayak on the fewa lake tomorrow morning , so we headed out a short while after to compare prices as there are just so many boat rental companies . We found a place that offers sit on top kayaks for a very cheap price 😀.
    In the evening, we sorted out our accommodation for the rest of our stay in Nepal (until Tuesday) and booked a hotel for our first few days in Thailand.
    Read more