Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    1. Uluwatu Beach and surrounding beaches

    July 14, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌬 27 °C

    Uluwata beach and explore

    Today was a really good day for waves in Bali , James and I decided to head to the famous Uluwatu beach , which was an hour long drive on the moped . The journey was really sketchy , with cars and mopeds everywhere and heavy traffic . Once again, James did amazingly , but we accidently ended up going past the beach . Not a problem though as we ended up at uluwatu temple instead !
    We had to wear sashes around our waists to cover up our legs before entering the holy grounds . The grounds were beautiful , with loads of monkeys everywhere . The monkeys seemed more aggressive than in Nepal, but they are still the macaque breed. One lady had her sunglasses grabbed off her face , which we found hilarious until the same thing happened to James . This monkey came out of no where and grabbed his daily prescription glasses off his face and ran off up a tree. One of the workers there tried to bluff the monkey with some lychees, but he wasn't giving in . We got a bit worried at this stage and started to conduct a plan if we couldn't get them back (maybe going home early) but luckily the monkey eventually gave into the lychees and gave the glasses back , although the frame was slightly chewed!
    We then went onto the famous Uluwatu beach and watched the waves and the surfers for a while . Never seen waves like this before , some of them must have been 4 metres high , people are just crazy surfing that !
    Padang padang beach was just up the road, it wasn't sandy and it was quite crowded , so we decided to move onto dreamland beach instead.
    We sat on the beach for a while then decided to brave the sea with the big waves even at the shore . The current was very strong and the white water really thrashed you about , so we didn't stay in there long !
    After a while, we braved the ride back to our hotel , along the way we spotted a rip curl outlet store and had a look there - a little breather from the heavy traffic .
    It was getting quite late and we still had to eat and do our theory for our surfing lesson the next day . We managed to get this done and have a nice chat with Jackie and Leigh for a while.
    We headed to bed at about 0130 after watching some rubbish reality TV on our tablet.
    Read more