Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    7. Surf lesson 5 - onto Ubud

    July 20, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Last day of surfing today, another 5.30am start, we made it to the beach before sunrise. Today was our last day of applying our skills which we had learnt over the last week. Level 5 surfing, today it clicked with Grace riding goofy and she caught many waves which was great. They noticed that James was getting every waves so swapped me to a shorter board to push me more and said that I should be riding hard boards now and ready for tackling the monsters at the back... I am not so sure yet! We have both improved so much. It was so great to see Grace have so much fun surfing and now she has caught the waves more she has got that buzz I got on my first few waves, you feel at one with nature and it makes you feel invincible for the seconds you are riding the swell. We bought the pictures from the week as you can probably tell on penguins which was cool.
    After the lesson we headed to Gloria Jean for a full English to celebrate and I must say it was probably the worst breakfast in history. Afterwards we packed up our stuff ready to leave Kuta and go to Ubud.
    We have decided to bypass Canggu for now as its quite built up and touristy like Kuta and we want to attempt to find a more authentic version of Bali. We had a 1 1/2 taxi ride, which we chatted all the way with our lovely taxi driver and learnt so much about the culture and what its like to live in Bali. We arrived at Ubud and we're greeted with coconut trees, temples, monkeys and loads of market stalls. This felt much more like what we imagined Bali to be like, we were so happy to get away from rowdy Kuta and we are super excited to get exploring tomorrow.
    We have decided to stay in a homestay in Ubud and our room looks like an entrance to a temple- it is so cool (it's the picture with me poking my head out above) all for less than £10 per night!
    Read more