Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    12. Gilli Meno

    July 25, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We caught the speed boat to Gili Meno at about lunchtime , we were feeling slightly hungover from the night before but it was so worth it .
    The boat ride was only about 15 mins long , and we were so pleased to see that the harbour was so quiet . Our little hut (which is only costing us 6 quid a night!) was only a short walk away . We got settled in and washed our clothes before heading out for a walk along the very small island .
    We decided to walk along the beachfront, collecting pretty shells and paddling in the sea along the way .
    After about 20 minutes , we came across a lovely looking resort and restaurant . The lovely man at the front of the restaurant was so charming that we just had to stop for an iced coffee.
    We chatted for ages and before we knew it the sun was setting . There was a bbq at the restaurant which had loads of freshly caught snappers and corn on the cob.
    Instead of looking for other places to eat we decided to have a snapper for supper . James had a white snapper and I had a red snapper which were cooked to perfection !
    The fish just flaked away from the bones and we really enjoyed it ( which is really good for James who has never been that keen on fish) .
    On the way home we came across a turtle sanctuary, we stopped there for a while taking pictures of the really cute baby turtles , we made a small donation before leaving . James also spotted a shell on the floor moving on the way back - turns out it was a cute little hermit crab!
    When we got back to our little hut we watched a film called " The Impossible " which is based on a true story about the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand and Indonesia .
    We have been very interested in the science behind tsunamis and have discovered that we are sat right on a tectonic plate called the "ring of fire" , it is scary to think that Indonesia is overdue an earthquake . The next earthquake is predicted to be a mega quake, which could result in a Tsunami up to 50 metres high.
    We went to bed shortly after the film , both feeling a little anxious after our discovery 😅.
    Read more