Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    13. Gilli Meno

    July 26, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Today we got up and rented 2 bikes to explore the island. We headed to a restaurant for some breakfast to fuel us for the day. We ended up buying some handmade bracelets which were made with pearls/stones from the island which were cool.
    We headed around the island as today we were snorkling and attempting to find the shipwreck just off shore. There are also some underwater lifesized human statues which sounded amazing. We headed into the sea in a rough vacinty of where we thought they were, we were greeted with amazing coloured coral and many different types of fish - you can tell why this is the snorkling island of the 3 Gilli islands. It was amazing and very similar to Thailand with fish all shapes and sizes. We saw many puffer fish which are now my favourite aswell (@mum) 😂🐟. We also came across 2 giant trigger fish but kept our distance as we don't want to have a close encounter like we did in Thailand 😬😬. The current was really strong again today and very choppy, think this is common for Indonesia. We loved seeing the blue coral which isnt found many places around the world.
    After an hour of exploring and no shipwreck we headed to shore to move further along the island. There was a hive of activity in one area so headed out about 100 mtrs from shore to investigate. We came across the statues which were approx 5 mtrs deep, they were in a circle and it was super cool to see. We had a swim about here fighting through the hoards of people and managed to get some good videos ,but sadly no shipwreck.
    Afterwards we carried on around the island and stopped for a drink, we ended up speaking to a man called Arbi who was selling sweetcorn from a cart for an hour and he was super chatty, we loved his sweetcorn, he told us he is known on the island as the corn man 🌽🤣.
    We carried on and did a full lap of the island before heading back to our cabin. I had a phonecall with dad which was nice and we played with the family of cats who came down to visit us, dad, mum and 2 kittens who were super fun. We headed to an Italian Warung (cheap food place) and ended up eating 2 portions of their pasta, not that it was nice, as it really wasn't but we were super hungry. Afterwards we headed back to our bungalow to watch a film, Grace is choosing a horror as we speak... (suprise, suprise haha). Moving to Gilli Air tomorrow, we could easily get used to this Island hopping malarky 🏝️🏝️🏝️.
    Read more