Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    7. Mechelen - Holland Marina

    February 11 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    After spending three peaceful and undisturbed nights at the padle club , we thought it was probably best to move on to somewhere new today .
    The last couple of days have been quite full on , so decided that we weren't going to spend a day in Antwerp on our feet . Instead , we decided to move onwards and go to Holland for a short while. Both of us are really keen to visit Rotterdam and the Hague , but Holland is very strict about wild overnight camping and you have to pay about 30 euro a night to park up at their motorhome parks .
    Today, we have ended up parking at a motor home stop point just above a place called Breda . It's a great little place at the marina , with electric hook up and water - good job as we were starting to run very low on water and power !
    On the way to the park up , we stopped off at a local supermarket ( Albert Hjein) to get our next few meals . Prices here are even more expensive than Belgium ! 7 euros for two small chicken breasts, for example .
    We noticed that the locals were all walking around in fancy dress - with no common theme to it ! There were smurfs , random Disney characters , zombies , cowboys to name but a few . After a bit of research, turns out that there is a five day carnival in the area , where everyone meets up in the park ,wearing fancy dress ,to get completely smashed .
    After our scenic and entertaining drive to our park up , we have decided to have a bit of a relax this evening . The area is great for walking Maddy , with a few bars dotted around the place too for a cheeky beer.
    Read more