Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    10. The Hague 11. Planning day

    February 15 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Valentines day
    The weather was awful when we woke up this morning , but seeing as it was valentines day , we thought we would make the effort to cycle to the Hague. Supposedly a nice and leisurely 30 min cycle ride - but ended up being a good hour with the rain blowing in our faces , how romantic !

    Luckily we were super prepared with our waterproof trousers and rain coats ( spot the brits !) , I had to tuck my rain trousers into my socks to avoid ripping them with the bike chain - super cringe .

    Once we arrived in the centre of the Hague, we stopped off for a quick bite to eat and a large coffee to get warmed up again .

    We went to Mauritshuis art gallery and unfortunately we were 10 mins late for their last entry, we think we could of easily walked around it in 1 hour. 😂
    The museum is right next to the Dutch parliament, so there were some pretty impressive buildings to have a look around.

    We took a wet tour of the city and checked out the top things to see, on the way home, we stopped at the royal palace of Netherlands which was cool to see.

    Time for the long cycle ride back to the van ! Wasn't too bad on the way back as we followed a more direct route so seemed much quicker.

    Maddy had been left in the van today so we took her for a long walk straight away before getting too warm and comfy !

    Finally time to get clean and warmed up . We enjoyed the luxury of a hot shower and ordered a takeaway delivered to the campsite as a valentines day treat.

    15th :
    Yet another day of miserable weather , we certainly didn't fancy another hour long bikeride to the Hague today . We have both come down with a cold so we had a lazy morning, drinking coffee and reading / planning for a few hours . We also took the opportunity to give the van a good tidy up.
    When the weather started to improve, we took Maddy for a long walk around the nature reserve just behind our park up , we enjoyed the wildlife and Maddy loved having a good run around .
    Spent the evening planning the next leg of our trip , James has researched a quaint little place called Giethoorn , so we will be slowly heading there over the next couple of days .
    Read more