Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    35. Füssen & Neuschwanstein Castle

    March 10 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After stocking up on water , we drove for about 20 mins to the medieval town of Füssen. The town is famous for manufacturing violins and boasts impressive gothic architecture. We really enjoyed walking around the cobbled streets , the properties were beautiful and full of character . There was an impressive castle in the middle of the town called "Hohes Schloss" castle.
    Before leaving the pretty little town, we walked up to the "Lechfall" , an impressive man made waterfall. The water was crystal clear and appeared very welcoming- bit too cold for a dip, unfortunately.
    Once back at the van , we had a quick lunch before making tracks back to the car park for the castle . We cycled to the ticket office and discovered we only had 30 mins to walk the steep hill to the castle . We absolutely paced it up the hill and made it up to the castle in 7.5 minutes - it was quite a workout!
    Our efforts certainly weren't wasted, the inside of the 155 year old castle was just breathtaking. Words honestly can't describe how beautiful it was . King Ludwig certainly had fantastic taste when designing the castle . The walls were dripping with all shades of blue, green and gold , without looking gaudy . The chandeliers were just stunning , with colourful gems glistening in the light .
    We both are so pleased that we have managed to visit the fairytale castle featured in our favourite childhood film.
    After all that excitement , we walked to the nearby "Maria bridge" to gain a better view of the outside of the castle . The bridge wasn't very pleasant to walk over , the wooden floor moved with every step and poor James got a bit wobbly when looking at the waterfall below.
    After all that excitement, we drove to a lovely campsite in Rottenbuch . The owner was super cool and friendly. We parked up next to a pen of chickens and rabbits, how cute !
    James did the cooking tonight whilst I had a lovely chat with mum. We enjoyed a beer and a couple of gins throughout the evening.
    Read more