Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    United States Capitol

    March 16, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    This morning I’m currently visiting the United States Capitol. It started with a tour of the middle part of the building. This includes the crypt (this is where George Washington was meant to be buried alongside his wife), and then the rotunda, the centre point of the building and the city. In the rotunda you can see (in my opinion) two of the most famous art works in US history, the first being John Trumbull's painting, “Declaration of Independence.” The painting shows the five-man drafting committee presenting their draft of the Declaration to the Congress, an event that took place on June 28, 1776. The second is also by Trumbull and is called “General George Washington Resigning His Commission,” this is the event after the war of independence when Washington handed back control of the army to the government.

    Afterwards I got an international visitors pass to see the House of the Senate*, which was sitting at the time. And then I’ve stopped for a coffee before visiting the museum, and the House of Representatives**.

    Will update when I’m done.

    * the senate represents the 50 states equally, two reps each.
    ** the House of Representatives is for the people, and it’s members are based on the population sizes of the states. Greater the population, greater the reps for that state.
    Read more