Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Sun Salutations and an Old Plane

    December 30, 2022 in India ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    It didn’t hit me, a yoga lover and practitioner for many years, that I am in the country that invented yoga, until I saw a huge statue in the Delhi domestic flight terminal this morning of a child doing the 12 poses of the Sun salutation. It’s the bodily prayer one can make every morning to thank the God of the Sun, and is core to any yoga practice.

    What a lovely statue to have in an airport. There was a little description on the bottom of it encouraging people to do yoga. Love it.

    We are on a very old airplane now, sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off to Jaisalmer. It is pretty foggy today but we’re hopeful the pilot has some sort of navigation system up front. We met two Aussies and six Americans ( all guys) who are also doing the Rickshaw Run who are on the same flight. One of the American kids is from Woodcrest, New Jersey, which is a development really close to where Joe grew up. The kid couldn’t believe that Joe was from Cherry Hill. He kept saying that and throwing out names to see if Joe knew them.

    What we’ve realized is that we are so far the oldest people here. Like a mother and father figure, maybe? No, maybe a crazy uncle and aunt, is more like it.
    Read more