Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Day 42: NW to Santiago de Compostela

    March 29, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Long day of driving today, perhaps the biggest day in our road trip. We weren't in a rush to leave though, so we got up around 9, had a lazy breakfast and headed off around 11am. Spent a couple of hours driving north-west on winding roads, before eventually joining the freeway again and crossing back into Spain.

    Stopped briefly at a town called Ourense to grab a McDonalds lunch - I know we shouldn't, but it's an easy option, you can order with touchscreens in English, the special menus aren't too bad and there's always outdoor seating for Schnitzel and clean toilets as well.

    Sated, we headed on. Weather quite changeable at the moment, it goes from sunny blue skies to gloomy and overcast, squally rain within minutes. Very close to the Atlantic here I guess, and quite exposed to the variable weather patterns coming across from the ocean.

    We arrived in Santiago de Compostela around 4pm and just headed straight to our apartment. It's small though fairly modern, but the biggest problem was that the wifi wasn't working! The 4G SIM card in the modem was locked, and after getting in touch with the owner he said the telco would fix it in the next 24-48 hours. Someone else on Airbnb had mentioned the wifi not working in their review from February, so I suspect it was an ongoing problem that wasn't likely to be fixed.

    As it was late in the day, cold and with intermittent rain, we decided to just stay in and save our exploration for the morning. Shandos ventured out to the supermarket a couple of blocks away and returned with dinner - just some simple spaghetti with pesto. With no internet distractions, I got stuck into editing videos and Shandos wrote some blog posts.
    Read more