Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 286

    Day 287: Classical Weimar

    November 28, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    Time to do a video about Weimar! It was supposed to be sunny today, but all we could see was drizzle. Waited until 10am for it to clear up, but no luck. So off we went, into the rain. Filmed at various places around the town, including Goethe's house, Schiller's house, and a few other spots. Had lunch at the Christmas markets which had opened today - interesting to see the difference between these and the far more kid-focused ones at Dessau. Also interesting to see the difference between these local markets, and what I remember of the larger tourist markets in Munich and Vienna from our last trip.

    More wandering and filming after lunch, eventually ending up in the large park designed by Goethe where it had happily stopped raining. Nice little place, Weimar - it feels very much like a student town, with a large university making up the majority of the population. It must be a real centre for music as well, since I constantly saw people wandering around with instrument cases.

    Headed home and relaxed for a few hours, before having an early dinner of gnocchi and heading back out to the Christmas markets. Filled up the edges with sausages and sweet treats, and of course gluhwein. No snow, but it was definitely below zero and felt it. It's nice that most of the places have fires for heating, but it does unfortunately mean you go home smelling like a chimney!
    Read more