Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 435

    Day 436: Back to Paris!

    April 26, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Last day with our car! Feels like a long time ago that we picked it up in Marseilles - 30 days and 5300km in fact. Crazy.

    Checked out of our hotel and drove to the north-west, skirting again around Paris. Our first stop today was an unusual one, a modernist villa designed by Le Corbusier. He's a French/Swiss architect who was very important to the development of modernist architecture, and this world heritage site is a combined listing of 17 of his buildings in various countries across the world. Many months ago we'd visited a few of his buildings in Belgium, in Switzerland, and in Marseilles, and it was finally time to close the book on this site.

    It was an interesting house, standing on stilts in the middle of a garden. But it very much exemplified his architectural principles (open space, allowing the garden under the building, useful roof, no load-bearing internal wals) so we had a nice time looking around and filming.

    All done, we had a couple of hours to kill before the car was due back at Orly airport, so we spent much of it having a long lunch at a boulangerie. Dropped the car off with no problems, then started an hour-long journey across Paris to our Airbnb. It ended up as the Orly-link train, then a metro, then two overground trains and a bit of walking in between each.

    Our apartment is quite nice though, a sunny studio on the 7th floor of an apartment building in the 17th arrondisement (north-west). It's a fair way out, but it was pretty cheap and is nicely furnished. Feels odd to be in someone's apartment when they aren't here and you've never met them, but oh well we're used to it now.

    Nice little neighbourhood which we walked around for a bit in the evening. Had a nice meal in a restaurant for a change - first time in a while! I had a burger while Shandos had a duck leg that Schnitzel was extremely jealous of.
    Read more