Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 505

    Day 506: To Estonia!

    July 5, 2018 in Estonia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Long day of travel today! Up early in Rauma, even though doing the bronze age site yesterday meant not doing it this morning. Several hours of driving back across Finland, where we dropped the car off in the centre of Helsinki with no issues. Definitely not my favourite car but not the worst either.

    From there it was a tram down to the ferry terminal where we had tickets for the 4:30pm boat to Tallinn. It's actually quite close to Helsinki, close enough that the ferry runs about every 30 minutes - though it is a two hour trip. Sadly Schnitzel wasn't allowed with us this time so we deposited him in his bed in the kennels where he seemed happy enough, then headed up onto the main decks to find a good perch.

    Wifi on board was quite decent so I managed to get a bunch of work done which was nice! Quite a large boat again though nowhere near the size of the Stockholm-Helsinki one. This was less than a year old, and came equipped with a Burger King! We didn't indulge though. I did have a couple of coffees and a muffin since the prices were quite reasonable.

    Arrived in Tallinn with thousands of other people and it was rather bedlam at the port. Called for an Uber which showed up fairly promptly and took us the 10 minute drive to our apartment for about 4 euros. Nice to be back in a cheap country again! Apartment is a nice little studio, well designed though quite compact.

    We celebrated our cheap-country-return by going out for dinner, something we hadn't really done for a month or more. Decent trendy cafe nearby charged us about 20 euros for two meals, four drinks and a dessert. Nice.

    We're staying in a hipster part of town with lots of old wooden apartment buildings so it should be quite interesting!
    Read more