Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 32

    Wellington, Capital of New Zealand

    7 februari, Nya Zeeland ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    Wellington, a beautiful port city, nestled within an alcove of green hills of high trees and thick foliage, is the federal capital of New Zealand.
    We had just a short stay here..... about 8 hours.

    We docked at about 8am and promptly disembarked to take a shuttle to city central, about 10-15 minutes inland where we jumped off to see some sights. The city is windy ("the windiest city in the world"), but the air is clean and the city is likewise immaculate, hosting a fair lineup of coffee houses, one after the other. I had an unforgettable cafe latte. I find myself loving the architecture of the various buildings in the cities we have visited and Wellington scores high, as well. Houses dot the lush, thick green, hills 'round the city... what views they must have of city lights and the thousands of outgoing and incoming ships.

    Just next to our dropoff, we visited the old Government Offices which were constructed about 1893. The building is all wood, beautiful, and features a complete history of the building throughout the creaky hallways. You should see the gorgeous wood work inside the structure. It is now used partl, y as a college of law. Then a few steps away we took a picture or two of the "Hive" - the current seat of the state and city administration, and the stately, adjacent Library.

    On the same walk-about we visited the Wellington Museum which tells the maritime story of Wellington. This little museum demonstrated the Maori historical perspective (they came to New Zealand as far back as 1200 AD), as well as showed through models, pictures and artifacts the day to day maritime port, sailing and city experience through the years.

    In the afternoon we took an excursion around the city
    Läs mer