Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Long Layover in Newark

    May 30, 2023 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 59 °F

    We intentionally scheduled a long layover in Newark, NJ so we could take FULL advantage of the United Club - we have a “free” 1 day pass.

    First of all, we enjoyed the shower suite, especially since I didn’t get my morning shower. We got up at 2:45, shuttle service to DFW was at 3:30am. So this shower felt good.

    We had a relaxing day in the United Club. We visited with several folks. One particular couple were heading to Milan, they were from Peru and NB, Canada. We talked about everything from travel, cruise, Covid, work and kids. It was fun.

    Dad and I played Phase 10, sent a few emails and basically looked at the New York City skyline from the New Jersey side.

    Now for the 14 hours and 40 minutes non-stop flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. I got upgraded to United Priority Plus, which is basically domestic First Class seats. I’ll be sitting right behind the Business class which has the pods that lay down flat.

    We watched the ground handlers load up planes and push them back and then we finally saw our 787 being tugged up. Cool. It’s getting real.
    Read more