Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Odyssey in Durmitor National Park

    September 5, 2019 in Montenegro ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We stopped at the capital of the country for one day, in Podgorica. We had heard that this city hadn't anything special but we found a modern city without tourism and with an interesting nightlife. We were positively surprised and we enjoyed our short visit.
    The following day we continued our trip to the mountains of Durmitor National Park. What we weren't expecting was that our time at the region wouldn't be as good as we had imagined.

    The weather started to be unpredictable; it was changing every few hours and we were having very strong short storms. But as you know, after the rain always comes the sun and, in this case, even a beautiful rainbow ☆

    After our experience in Slovenia with our flooded tent, we were scared to go through the same situation but this time in a colder region. We weren't able to go hiking and when we did, I started to feel without energy and tired of travelling. I needed a break.
    What we didn't know is that the best (ironically) was about to happen and we started feeling the bites of bed bugs from who knows where. It could only be from the hostels of the previous nights.

    The family who runs the camping was a bit weird: the man of the house would tell stories about the past about women, the mother looked unhappy and tried to be friendly and the kids didn't give a shit about the business. Instead, they would put a false smile on their faces to welcome their guests with a shot of homemade Rakija (local alcohol).

    It was cold, I was tired and we were full of bed bug bites. We started to feel uncomfortable and we needed to wash all our clothes immediately before they would spread out. We showered two to three times a day and about three times each time with very hot water.

    After a day we could already tell that they were gone, because we didn't have any new bites. Puuuuh!

    Luckily, Jona sees everything more positive than me. Despite the bites and the bad weather he felt good in his mountains and he could enjoy the trek and a bike ride on his own :)
    Read more