Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Monument Rocks & a Massacre Site

    September 1, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    After a restless night, Arlie and I headed to Monument Rocks in Kansas. It was a scenic ride while we were still in/near the Rockies, but then it was miles after mile of flat land, grasslands & farms. Cattle grazing, Corn fields, etc.

    After driving for hours with not so much as a hill to break-up the skyline, suddenly one comes to these massive rock formations. It is a national monument but it is on private ranch land, no visitor center, just a few signs telling a little about the formations.

    Jay immediately defaced the monument. I did clean up after her but later realized there were much larger piles of poop all over the grounds.

    Arlie and I took some photos, walked around one of the sites and then took off. It was too hot to really hike or spend much time out in the sun.

    We stopped at a Wendy's in some teeny tiny town and then Arlie headed south to Tx and I headed west. I had seen something on the Colorado map that sparked some interest: the Sand Creek Massacre Memorial National Historic Site. I mostly wanted to see how & what they did to address the event. It turns out it was in the middle of nowhere. Truly Nowhere. There were a few scrawny buildings up an eight mile rocky dirt road. It was actually closed, only open Thursday - Sunday. I drove the 8 miles anyway.
    Read more