Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Cambados

    April 26 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    14km day, all downhill and beautiful, with some light rain.

    The bar serving breakfast in Armenteira opens at 9:30am so we made a late start. With rain predicted we donned long pants and warmer gear.

    By 10am we had eaten and were walking again.

    The Camino route down from Armenteira is delightful. It is a steep dirt track following the babbling river Armenteira. It was 4km of waterfalls, rushing water and lush mossy green forest. We passed about 3 dozen old abandoned grain mills, all made of stone and beautifully dilapidated.

    Eventually the slope lessened and we continued beside the river through beautiful forest along a broad dirt track.

    The track crossed a highway so we stopped for lunch at the excellent Restobar Peneira.

    Rain started as we left there but did not get very heavy. We donned ponchos for about an hour.

    The route continued downstream along the river Armenteira until it joins the river Umia, which we followed upstream into Ponte Arnelas. We passed lots of lush farmland planted with various vegetable crops and the ubiquitous grapes.

    In Ponte Arnelas we stopped for a cold drink and phoned for a taxi to Cambados. It is off the Camino route. We were unable to find a room in Ponte Arnelas.

    We’d planned to taxi back tomorrow and rejoin the official route to our next stay at Vilanova de Arousa but the direct walk from Cambados to there looks pleasant, along the coast so we will probably do that.

    After gaining entry to our apartment the rain picked up quite a bit so tomorrow could be soggy.

    One priority here is to replenish our Euro supply. We just had enough to cover the taxi fare. His credit card device only accepted Spanish cards.
    Read more