Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Our Final Hours in Cabo!

    January 25 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    It always takes a while for me to settle in and get comfortable with new and unfamiliar surroundings. We are scheduled to head home tomorrow but I am finally starting to feel so very comfortable here. We know our way around ... the vendors in the marina recognize us so they are not as persistent in trying to sell us something.

    We don't typically like to go to the same place twice ... but ... I could see us making an exception for this location. The weather, the people, the safety and the ability to get anywhere on foot! We've saved a pile of money by not paying taxi and/or Uber fees.

    As I reflect upon our time here ... it strikes me that although we've seen a good portion of the marina area and some of the old downtown ... if we came again ... we would likely expand the circle of our engagement ... exploring further and further away from where we are centered! In doing so, we could enjoy 'the familiar' and yet stretch out to new horizons if and when we felt adventurous. I'm sure there are so many, many wonderful things to enjoy and some great day trips that we just never got around to doing in our short time here!

    All that said, we headed back to Rooftop 360 today. It felt so good to laze away the day in such sublime surroundings. Another day of complete and total pampering and relaxation seemed like the optimal way to bid Cabo farewell! And, the weather forecast promised it would kiss us gently with sunshine and caress us warmly and relatively windlessly!

    And ... that it DID! We lubed up with sunscreen and headed over for breakfast again. In doing so ... we ended up with four extra eggs .. so I hard boiled them to make egg sandwiches to take to the airport with us as we would be there over lunch! I'm still trying to 'average out' the price of our meal at Ediths! 🤣

    Side bar: I'm actually no longer stewing about it. I am trusting it will go down in history as our most expensive meal (EVER!) and will make for good story telling in the future! And, I came across an article highlighting the top 10 places to eat in Cabo ... and ... Edith's was NUMERO UNO!! So ... if I'm looking on the sunny side of things.. its good to know the high price we paid was actually for the best food in town! I won't argue with that rating! It really was exceptional!

    Okay ... I got sidetracked! We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast on the rooftop! And then, just as we were finishing breakfast .. Mario (aka Alberto ... the manager) brought us a "surprise". It was a new burrito that they were thinking of adding to the menu. He wanted our opinion of it! We were full ... but ... happily chowed down to give him our review! And, before we knew it .. he also placed two mimosas (on the house) in front of us. It all made for a lovely start to our day!

    We were settling into our chairs for the day when I realized that I could see our condo from the little slice of heaven we were enjoying! It's fascinating to see the lay of the land from the 9th floor!

    We also enjoyed great conversation with our deck chair neighbors. One of the couples we met were also "John and Karen"! They were wonderful and gave us some ideas for a tour company they really enjoyed. Its called "Gate 1". We will be sure to check it out!

    After our leisurely day, we headed back home to check in for our flight! I wasn't sure if there would be issues on our return flight given that the "R" was still recorded on the old boy's ticket, but we checked in just fine.

    And then ... we added up our left over pesos and headed out to the marina one last time to pick up some items from the vendors we have seen sitting on blankets. There were a couple of older ladies ... actually much older ... who have really tugged at our heart strings as we have passed by them with our polite "no, gracious". We noticed that they spent every day in the same place ... for hours on end ... hoping to sell something to passers by.

    We didn't really need any of their items but figured they could use the 600 pesos (@$47CAD) more than we needed them ... so ... we headed out to the marina! We had about 90 minutes before our dinner reservation and we opted to give them some business! We ended up purchasing a number of items that we can string together and place on our Christmas tree! It will be a great reminder of our time here.

    And then ... we were off to our dinner at "Roasted!" The old boy agreed that the tuna was the best he's ever had! And, if that weren't good enough ... they offered us complimentary cheesecake and tequila shots.

    I didn't want the shot they poured for me, so I gave it to the nice guy at the table beside us. And that is how we ended up at that restaurant for 3.5 hours. Mike and Melanie were so enjoyable to talk with that we could even have chatted for a couple hours more! They live in Seattle ... so ... not too far from us. Who knows if we'll ever reconnect, but we certainly enjoyed the time we shared with them!

    And now .... it's nearly 10:00pm. It's time to say good night to one and all ... and ... prepare to pack up our memories for the commute home tomorrow! ✈️
    Read more