Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    👣 A Nice Walkabout Seville! 👣

    April 27 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After our siesta yesterday, we meandered down the our street a little ways and enjoyed some more tapas. It was 9:00pm! We must be aclimating to the Spanish culture of resting in the afternoon and then eating later at night and then sleeping in until 9:00 or 10:00am!! I ordered the salmon and it was so beautifully prepared! The old boy is in heaven with all the fish and seafood options ... so he ordered the anchovies on avocado toast ... and then ... followed it up with a plate of bull's tail. He didn't want to miss the opportunity to chow down on a little bull. I should share that he absolutely loved every bite of it.

    Speaking of bull ... I have an update! The old boy is no longer planning to see a bull fight. He was investigating it a bit more and watched a little of one on UTube. He ended up having a terrible dream afterwards and decided that he best not go.

    At any rate ... we were awakened this morning by the ringing of the church bells. They typically ring on every hour and every half hour, but this morning they were ringing every 10 minutes. I had to Google it to see if today was some special holiday?? I learned that it is customary for church bells to be rung after a marriage in church and to mark national thanksgivings. It is also common to announce festivals, to warn of invasions or national emergencies ... and/or ... for the bell ringer to practice his skill set! It never occurred to me that one might need to hone one's craft if one was a bell ringer. It makes me wonder how many youngsters dream of being bell ringers when they grow up? It's so fascinating, isn't it?

    We had another breakfast at home and then headed off to find the pick-up spot for our day trip to Jerez and Cadiz tomorrow. It took us to the Macarena district, which appeared to be far more filled with locals than the Centro district where we are staying. We hope that our practice run today will minimize any stress of getting lost in the morning ... while trying to navigate the maze of cobblestone lanes that are shared by pedestrians and vehicles alike. It would be literally impossible to find our way without Google Maps! The roads are so narrow that at one intersection, a whole bunch of people had to stop and wait for an Uber driver to make the corner. There were mere inches between him and the buildings. The onlookers offered him a round of applause as he completed the task without losing his side mirrors! It is honestly like nothing we have ever seen before.

    We stopped for little cafe leche and some locals helped us get our bearings so we could wander over to the Santa Cruz area. This was the Jewish Quarter. It is now filled with multitudes of little artisan shops and cafes and bars. We had such a good time taking it all in.

    We then found ourselves at a outdoor cafe and the tomato soup looked scrumptious. So, we ordered a couple bowls and then had the pleasure of watching a very young man do some break dancing! He was sooooo talented!

    After that, we walked a fair way and stopped to have a little rest at the base of a monument. We sipped a little wine out of our green Starbucks cup and made our way on foot to the Plaza Espana ... the location where the 1929 World Fair/Exposition was held. Apparently the people of Seville started preparing for it in 1910 ... 19 years earlier!

    People raved about how beautiful it was and said it was a "must see." I guess one might compare it to Central Park in New York. It is 170 acres and was quite lovely with gardens and gorgeous buildings but we opted not to spend much time there. We decided, rather, to have a little pizza and a glass of wine at a restaurant in the Maria Luisa park instead. Thank goodness that we did, because the clouds burst open shortly after we arrived! Fortunately, our cute little server rushed over imploring us to "come, come, come" before we even knew it was raining. He grabbed my food and drink and very quickly relocated us under an awning! It was really so very kind of him!

    There was a "pop Up" Market from Portugal that we browsed, but with all our wandering, we missed siesta time. We naively thought we could just buy a sandwich to take home for supper. Well, finding a sandwich at 6:00pm proved to be a formidable task ... so ... we went to the grocery store and bought the fixings to make our own.

    We are home now ... it's 8:18pm ... and are hoping to get to bed early. We still need to eat, but the old boy is fast asleep on the chair. We logged 13, 819 steps on our walkabout today so we are both feeling tuckered out!!

    It was such a nice day though. And, tomorrow we will be galavanting to other interesting places in Spain. I guess we will have to set the alarm again. 😉

    I hope you all had a great day as well! Hugs from Seville ... k&j ❤️
    Read more