Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 129

    Potosí mines

    March 17, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    What an experience! We didn't really know what to expect from this tour even though we have read quite a lot about it.
    Julio, our guide and very strange person in one took us first to a market where we bought few presents for the miners. He showed us where to buy dynamite and coca leaves. Two essentials for every miner.
    Once we were done, we took a short bus ride to the mines itself.
    All dressed up we definitely looked the part. First we have spent some time hiking around with the miners and Julio explained a little bit about their life that seemed super tough.
    The younger ones were drinking beer and from each glass they spilled a little bit on the floor as offering to Pachamama. That's a god they are asking for a good find of minerals and safe working environment.
    Talking with them outside was actually quite pleasant and we were kind of putting of entering of the mine.
    When the time have finally arrived, Julio got our head-torches switched on and we have entered.
    It's difficult to describe the place bit it was small, narrow and super dark. The lamps on our helmets didn't really shine and it was rather difficult to see.
    We walked for couple of meters trying to catch a breath and Julio who was ahead of us.
    We stopped for a little break in a place where it was slightly taller before we continued.
    I tried to focus on not hitting my head on one of the cables and pipes but Petr as an architect looked at the structure of the place.
    After only about 5 minutes we decided that this is not for us. We have felt breathless and slight claustrophobic.
    Thankfully Julio was very understanding and we could turn around to head back towards the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Towards the end it really hit me. Those men outside go into the mine for 6-8 hours a day risking their life to make a little bit of money.
    Once we came out, I couldn't stop tears. It was so overwhelming.
    Few leaves of coca helped and we got back to chatting with the miners. Some of then were coming out of mine with their week's find in the trolleys.
    It was a very stressful and eye-opening experience. Those guys are super brave and have our admiration.
    We couldn't even imagine staying inside longer then couple of minutes.
    As we were catching a bus to Sucre, we were quite happy when Julio asked us if we would like to go.
    Happy to leave this place behind us, we headed for a bus and back to the city.
    Read more