Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 144

    Islas Los Uros

    April 1, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Absolutely unique experience waited for us on Easter Sunday. We have read about it in travel guide and seen pictures but nothing compares to the first sight of the floating islands.
    Passing by the football and volleyball pitch with a game in place is something we will never forget.
    Few more minutes of sailing and we have docked on island that we would spent next hour.
    Getting of the boat was rather strange, especually once you realized that underneath the floating island is 10 metres deep lake.
    We have said warm welcome to the families who live on this island and settled down in a circle for explanation how are islands made and about life of the people who live there.
    It was very interesting and the girl talking to us had a great sense of humour.
    After that we could take pictures, have a look inside of their houses and chat to them.
    Half an hour later we assembled together again for a singing performance. I must say, it felt very rehearsed and awkward.
    The local women started singing a song first in quechua and then aymara. Once they finished, our tour guide suggested singing in English, French and even German.
    Once they finished the performance, they invited us, again in slightly awkward way, to board their Mercedes Benz boat that is hand made by families living on this small island.
    As it was only 10 PEN (64 Kč) we decided to accept. It was nice ride and it have as perspective just how big is the area. In this Puno bay is up to 90 floating island. Some are dedicated to school, medical centre, restaurant or football pitch.
    Soon was time to leave behind floating island and their inhabitants. We took a boat ride back to Puno and headed for lunch.
    I think we can honestly say that this experience will stay with us for long and we will keep wondering if those people.really live there or take a boat back to shore every night.
    Read more