Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    The beginning of the end of the trip...

    August 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    Got going a little early this morning so I could spend time up at the Princess lobby having coffee as I used their Wi-fi to catch up with finances on my lap top. Cell service had been pretty good, but need Wi-fi for computer and quicken. (Have to make sure we have enough money to get home!)

    Meanwhile Cindy packed up her stuff for her flight home. And really the rest of the day was about driving into Anchorage, saying good by to the Kenai, to the conservation center, to Portage Glacier, Whittier, and Seward, and the Turnigan Arm...all memories shared off of the highway we drove. No wildlife, except two swans at Potters Marsh. It was a gray and quiet day.

    Easy travel to the airport, and last hugs goodbye to Cindy! Then back on the road to make some headway getting south. Drove out the Glenn highway which actually is yet another gorgeous drive. Drove by the Matenuska glacier, and up into lots of tundra and spots of lakes. Some big overlooks to the valley below. A little dry on this side...

    Found a campsite just outside of Glennallen, quiet, with very few folks. Nice wooded sites, so it was empty enough I could let Auggie have some "off leash" time. He seems a little despondent since losing his primary caretaker!

    Fairly long drive day, just over 300 miles, which is more than we normally do. Leftovers and salad for dinner!
    Read more