Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Tok cut-off, under construction!

    August 2, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We left our campground hoping to get to Tok about noon, Public Alaskas Public Works dept had a different idea. They wanted to make sure we're fully appreciated what it takes to maintain highways in Alaska! We spent alot of our morning driving through various phases of road construction, damaged roads, gravel roads, newly paved roads, patched roads, and the "wash board" roads that jar your teeth together! Some with pilots and some without... Morning ended at about 1:30 p.m. when were finally arrived in Tok. Grocery shopping, gas fuel up, lunch (big, no sharing, we were hungry) and wine purchase, only a bottle each because we will be crossing the border into Canada tomorrow and you can only have 2 bottles.

    At Tok we have rejoined the Alaska Highway and will be on this for the next couple of weeks as we travel through Canada to Dawson Creek, which is mile 0. We did the Tok to Delta Junction, the final leg, on our way to Fairbanks, so now we will do the main part coming home. (We used a combination of other Canadian highways on our trip north....Cassiar, Yellowhead, Klondike....)

    Since we got to lunch pretty late, we only drove another 70 miles or so and found this awesome campsite on a wildlife refuge. Because it is a state refuge, they only ask for donations, and we got here early enough to snag a lake front site! Beautiful, quiet. Auggie loved it because there were so few people here that were took a short hike with him off leash again! He is getting spoiled! The refuge even had this very nicer blind built that you can sit in to watch the birds from. Just not that many birds that to see, maybe because they aren't really migrating at this time of year?? Saw a couple of duckling groups, but that was all. (Did see some swans on our drive today, and Tom saw another moose and calf....he stopped, I got out and ran to get photo, but they took off in the brush!)

    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner, too full from late lunch!
    Read more