Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 61

    Last of Prince George

    August 15, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    Woke up to a rainy morning at WhiskersPoint Campground, McLeod Lake. Who knew? The weather is sort of all over the place. Never that hot, but I guess it is the humidity (?) that keeps it from feeling too cool. Never sure if I want aong sleeve shirt or short sleeve. (Who said vacations are easy?) Still had a long enough break to get Auggie out and about.

    Heading to Prince George we made a couple of stops, one at Bear Lake to do a short hike, but fortunately it was raining so we just visited the lake in RV!

    Next stop was the Huble Homestead, about 20 miles outside of PG. This is a BC Heritage site, and really was a nice stop. All the buildings (home, barns, cabin, general store, etc) have been restored or replaced. The Historical Society worked with the older adult children to accurately depict what their home was like growing up. They have a caretaker, so it is well maintained; and have some livestock housed there to give it a more lived in look. One or two people in period clothing to help as well. The setting was gorgeous, right next to the Fraser River. We could stroll the buildings and site with Auggie.

    Eventually got to PG after noon, stopping at their Visitor Center for info regarding our drive east the next day. Since we wanted to catch up on laundry and get showers, we found an RV park just out of town. Stopped at a roadside diner for quick lunch after filling up with gas and then checked in to the park.

    Wow, we have been so spoiled with the provincial campgrounds. This one did have trees and grass, and it was nicely maintained, but we were all side by side by side. We did have power, water, showers (one "loonie", Canadian dollar, for 3 minutes), laundry and excellent Wi-fi! The best I have had our entire trip, no drops, easy sign on. (the owners brother is an IT guy) So I caught up on credit card charges and updated up our Quicken accounts without struggling through slow downloads. Dinner and bed!
    Read more