Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Carvers Row in Chetwynd

    August 14, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    Another beautiful morning at Moberly Lake. Enjoyed our coffee and cinnamon bun lakeside. Interesting but this is the first of many lakes we have seen that actually had some moored sailboats. You see all versions of power boats, river boats, and tons of canoes and kayaks, but not many sailboats on the inland lakes.

    Finally got in the RV and drove back to Chetwynd. We revisited the visitor center to get info on public showers, and then walked a handful of the more than 200 wood carvings displayed throughout the city. They have been holding an annual international contest since the early 90s, and the peices are displayed all over town. Incredible detail and fun to admire!

    Drove over to the local rec center and finally got to take some much needed showers! It felt so good to wash my hair again! The rec center has a little bit of everything since in the winter it is home to a lot of activities. As such, they did have a little restaurant, so we stayed and had lunch. Their special of the day was lasagna, so we bought a helping to go for dinner!

    Gassed up and headed south without knowing where our overnight would be. We stopped at one of the provincial parks that we had been told to go see, Heart Lake. Gorgeous, set up in the Rockies, no one there except a gal giving her pup (a bear dog) a break from driving. The drive in was a little scary, rough with gravel, and may be a 10% grade? Uncomfortably steep. Would have stayed overnight there but it was still so early in the afternoon that we kept on driving. Peeked at another little lake, Azouzetta. Rocky mountain backdrop, with private RV resort. But right on road, and the sites were all out in the open with some shrubs.

    Continued on, stopping for a visit to Bijoux Falls, very nice. Really the drive from lunch until this point has been great, we are driving across the Rockies so we are getting more winding, mountainous driving than just the rolling forested hills.

    Back down into the rolling forests, with lots of "wildlife corridor" caution signs, but no wildlife! About 4:30 found a provincial campground on MacLeod Lake and, (yeah!), scored another lakeside site. It did involve a move from our initial site, but when out walking Auggie we found Site #6 marked "available". Tom had to "hold" spot, much to his displeasure, while I moved the RV. However the lake breeze is wonderful, as our daytime temps are slowly inching up as we move south!

    Lasagna and salad for dinner, and now, time for a walk with Auggie!
    Read more