Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Visit Hannibal, Missouri

    June 5, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    Had a wonderful afternoon visiting Hannibal, Missouri. This town is all about Mark Twain, and the characters he created from his own personal experiences.
    We didn't get here until noon, after doing some shopping at Walmart before we left. Crossed the Missouri River getting a glimpse of the state capital before heading pretty much northeast to Hannibal and the Mississippi River.
    Had lour first real glimpse of the Mississippi, and then lunched at the Old Planters restaurant. Barbecue pork sandwiches, the special of the day. Complete with German chocolate pie for dessert. Strolled the very cute downtown area prior to catching our trolley tour of the town at 2:30.
    Really liked hearing about the history and seeing most of the major sites for this historical town. I think she said that they had 400 plus homes/ buildings on the historical register, many are restored Victorians from the late 1800s.
    So much about Samuel Clemens and his life, about the people and places in his stories, seeing where they lived, and also about the history of Hannibal itself. Great way to see the town in a couple of hours!
    Back to the RV, got the generator turned on so we could get a little cool air going and then crossed over the Mississippi to get to Quincy, Illinois. Small, shady RV site fairly close to the River. Wonderful shower and lots of air conditioning to end the day!
    Read more