Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Big Spring in Psalms Book State Park

    June 16, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Nice easy travel day, well except the 15-20 mile highway detour which put us on a hard packed gravel roads. (Tom dreads what these roads do to the jeep we are towing!)
    Our drive included a fun stop at Big Spring, aka Kitch-Iti-Kipi. It is a beautiful big pool that is fed by a big spring. Per the info board, 10,000 gal per minute! The set up is really fun, you all get on a fairly good size barge that is connected to a cable suspended from either side of the pond. In the middle of the barge is a glass window that allows you to see down into the pond. But the water is so clear, not sure the window is necessary! Beautiful turquoise, blue and teal colors, you see the spring bubbling up, and lots of big trout. The water is 42 degrees even though in full sun. The barge is propelled across the cable by turning this big wheel. The kids had a lot of fun turning the wheel. Just a great family park visit.
    Stopped for lunch at the Big Spring tavern, excellent salad. Big enough to eat some and save for dinner. And as usual we typical split a beer, today's choice, the "widowmaker", nice dark ale.
    Found a site on lake Michigan, Big Hog Island state park. Very rustic, but excellent views to the lake!
    Read more