Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 137

    North Shore Dr and Gooseberry Falls

    October 5, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Dang, woke up to a big, thick overcast sky.. Our "neighbors" thought it would burn off by mid morning... not the case. Oh well, you just can't count on the weather this late in the season.

    Decided to have breakfast out, found a cute café in the Canal Park area (lots of restored old brick buildings), but no hot breakfast items. They referred us to Duluth Grill, which was awesome. They are one of the top restaurants in Duluth and they serve breakfast through dinner. Apparently Guy Fieri had reviewed this diner on his show. Tom had the basics, eggs and (delicious!) bacon and I had one of best Mexican omelets ever. They have a binder with their recipes for people who ask, and have a cook book.

    Finally got on the road to drive the North Shore Scenic byway. It's about 150 miles long, but we only made about half of it because we had some wonderful stops.

    First up, Gooseberry Falls State Park. We pulled into the parking and were surprised at the number of visitors for a gray weekday. Nice little visitor center and then spent most of the morning walking all the falls. There were 5 different falls, with walks and stairs meandering around and over the river for different view points. Even though the skies are gray, the weather temperature is still really nice for being outside, probably more 60s.
    Read more