Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 150

    I-70 out of Denver

    October 18, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    So today was all about driving, but what a beautiful drive! You don't often see an interstate being noted as a scenic drive but this one is.

    We drove south out of Torrington, through Cheyenne and down to Denver. Then picked up I-70 going west. Grabbed some lunch at Panera as we got of west of Denver.

    After climbing a little bit out of Denver we pulled over and decided to have me drive the jeep so the RV didn't have to drag the jeep up and down these grades which are pretty steep, 7%, which isn't bad in a car, but is more challenging for an RV towing the car! Loved this drive and the weather was perfect. The Eisenhower Tunnel was pretty dang impressive, maybe a mile long? And pretty steep grades either way. Interstate was nice and dry so no problem with road conditions.

    All the towns along the interstate look inviting, but they are all sort of jammed between the intestate and the mountains that they access for skiing. So many beautiful hotels and apartments that either get the mountain view or the highway view! Not alot of RV options so just kept driving on through Glenwood Springs. Particularly loved the Glenwood canyon drive, about 3 miles long with the Colorado River running right beside the interstate. The bright yellow color of all the golden aspen against the dark lines or juniper, or dark mountain are awesome. We are really enjoying the fall color here, no red maples, but lots of contrast!

    Finally found a nice KOA (in Silt, Colo) on the Colorado river at about 6:30. Office was closed, but they did have 3 sites left for late registration. Just nice to have power, had a pretty cold storm come through again. It was windy enough that we actually brought slide-out in because the wing kept snapping the small awning that covers the slide-out. But was very comfortable even with slide out in.
    Read more