Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 143

    Spearfish Canyon Scenic Drive

    September 15, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    Since we decided on a second night we had to hang around in the am to move to another site. This park is generally fully occupied on the weekend. But Charlie was glad because we spent some time in the fenceless dog park (doubles as an ice rink in the winter) with her frisbee AND creek time! The creek moves along pretty well some there are bubbles that are created over the rocks. She is such a water dog!

    Got moved right before lunch, had lunch, and while Tom napped, I went to the grocery store.

    Got back and we jumped in the jeep to drive the Spearfish scenic byway thru Spearfish canyon. Beautiful drive, beautiful weather.

    There are a couple of waterfalls on this drive, so we were looking for a turn out to the first when we came up on a bunch of stopped cars. Anyone who has spent time in a natl park knows stopped cars can only mean one thing- wildlife! Sure enough there was a momma mountain goat and her baby munching grass at the side of the road. And the were conveniently eating near the pull out for the first waterfall, Bridal Veil.

    So tame! They must be used to tourists because neither of them stopped eating to check us out. Snapped out pics and then walked over for pics off the falls.
    Read more