Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 143

    Roughlock Falls

    September 15, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    Back in the jeep to continue our drive in the canyon. Just drove slowly to put our eyes on the cliffs looking for mountain goats or climbers. Didn't see anymore.

    About halfway through this 15 mile plus drive you arrive at little town of Savoy. Big lodge, and a couple of restaurants and lots of ATV rentals! I think this state has a lot of back roads thru forests and abandoned mines. We drove about a mile back from the lodge on one of the forest service roads to get to the Roughlock Falls. We could have hiked it (?), but it would have been all uphill getting there. So we stayed in the jeep and gave the hikers a 👋. (Linley will be so proud of us!)

    We really loved this series of falls. And they have this well developed path that follows the creek as it moves from the upper to the lower falls. Nice canyon setting. Still a couple of weeks before seeing some of those wonderful fall colors. Plus we are only at about 4,000 ft. (Really hoping we get to see some color in Yellowstone! 🤞)

    Finished out drive by completing a loop thru Deadwood and back to Spearfish. Deadwood might be fun if you have time to spend, but our "drive thru" impression is that it is highly commercialized. Lots of shopping, restaurants and lodging. So many visitors that there are several parking garages to accommodate all the cars. Definitely another level above Virginia City, but that sort of feel.

    Got back about 5 and gave Charlie some more play time with her frisbee and the creek!! We really like this little City Park!
    Read more