Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 147

    YNP: Upper loop #1, Hayden Valley

    September 19, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    Wow, gorgeous morning for sightseeing. Decided to do Upper Loop today ( about 70 miles), and Lower Loop (about 110 miles) tomorrow. Our biggest challenge is getting out the door- it is vacation, right? So you want to sleep in?

    On the road by 9 which is very good for us. Stopped at the Fishing Bridge Visitor center, very nice (big) view of Yellowstone Lake. All these park facilities seem to be original structures, updated, but most seem to be on the historical register.

    We are using the Guide Along app which gives us an audio narrative and recommended stops. Very helpful.

    First stop, Mud Volvano which was mostly mud pots and steam vents. Small mile loop walk, great first stop and intro to all the thermal activity we will be seeing.

    On thru Hayden Valley, with the road following the Yellowstone River. In our visit here we used those route numerous times, and we always found bison...it is just a gorgeous drive.

    At some point along this drive we also happened on some sort of bird release. Several rangers with large birds (young trumpeter swans?) in their arms, ands that at some point they were all released into the Yellowstone. Never got details...
    Read more