Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Kiwi Experience - Auckland to Paihia

    June 6, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    It was still dark when our Kiwi Experience bus picked us up on Queens Street. We clambered on board with our fellow travellers (10 including us) for our 'Cape and Bay' trip, which takes us north to Paihia, a port at the 'Bay of Islands', before a day trip further north to Cape Reinga tomorrow.

    Driving out of Auckland Kim suddenly realised that she had left her neck pillow behind at the hostel. This is the second neck pillow that Kim has lost (to be fair not just on this trip) and Alex thinks it's lucky to have made it this far. Kim may buy a replacement but Alex thinks it would be bordering on a cruelty to neck pillows if Kim lost a third.

    After crossing the Auckland Harbour Bridge we drove through thick fog, which layered the road and surrounding countryside. The sun weakly sought to break through, casting a ghostly yellow light that nearby cattle past through like shadowy spectres. When the fog did break it revealed a lush green farming landscape studded with trees, barns and cattle herds. If it wasn't for the different species of trees then you could have mistaken it for England.

    Of our group who we've managed to get to know so far there is Pierrick from France, a psychiatrist who works in Geneva as well as a diving instructor in Thailand. Also there is Jamie and Abi from Manchester, who have lived and worked in Auckland for over a year. Both have travelled in Australia and South East Asia before coming to New Zealand, so it's interesting and informative to hear their experiences. It's possible that we will travel further on the Kiwi circuit with these and other members of our group or at least bump into them again down the line.

    On route to Paihia we stopped at the peaceful Whangarei Falls, surreally located near a main road. Light and water danced together through the surrounding woodland as we circumnavigated to the base of the falls, before coming back up and over them via a narrow metal bridge. One of the volunteer guides showed us photos of how in July 2014 heavy rains had transformed the tranquil falls into a raging torrent that drowned both the bridge we had crossed as well as the picnic area at the base of the falls.

    The sun dominated the sky as we arrived in Paihia. Small islands, green with vegetation, sit up from the bright blue water of the bay whilst yachts and ferries float about. We later hiked up through forest for a better view as the setting sun threw embers of light across the water. Afterwards we sat down by the water to complete the sunset as Jack Johnson's 'Banana Pancakes' played from a nearby bar.
    Read more