Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 124

    Brisbane

    August 21, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Refusing to let overcast skies and the threat of rain dampen our spirits, we bounced our way onto the city bus to visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary down in the Fig Tree Pocket (cool name) suburb of Brisbane.

    Although we have been lucky enough to see Koala in the wild, the sanctuary offers visitors the opportunity to hold one, which is safe to do as they have been raised in captivity. Kim thoroughly enjoyed this and rode a Koala-cuddling-high all the way back to the city centre!

    We also got the opportunity to hand feed Kangaroo within a large open pen. Basking in the humid sun they appeared lack lustre, yet quickly demonstrated their power when a mob bounded at speed across the grass to a point 50 metres away. You were further reminded of their strength when the larger ones stood up on their hind legs to come level with your face, the muscles of their torsos visibly shifting under their short haired coats. Yet they docilely nibbled and licked up the food on our open palms, their glassy black eyes reflecting back at us.

    We watched a demonstration of birds of prey, which soared and swooped around our heads to crunch down on white mice offered by their handlers. There was the fearsome looking White Bellied Sea Eagle, who was 22 years old and could potentially live to 40 in captivity. Then the Barn Owl, an assassin capable of silent flight to kill before it's prey even knew what had happened. Followed by the Barking Owl, named because of it's 'woof'-like call, which can kill prey as large as a cockatoo. Lastly the fastest of them all, the Peregrine Falcon, which was so fast (speeds up to 400km per hour) it was difficult to keep track of in the sky.

    Afterwards we watched that great Australian staple - sheep sheering. Undertaken by gruff shearer, Kevin, it looked like backbreaking work, particularly when done, as Kevin explained, over an 8-10 hour a day with shearers pocketing $3 per sheared sheep. However, for the sheep who calmly allowed Kevin to remove its coat with the abloom of a cutthroat barber, it appeared just another day at the office.

    After our recent burger splurges Alex's Dad commented whether we were in fact eating anything but this. We responded that we were, lots of sushi! So in honour of this and a brilliant day, we ate more sushi for dinner!
    Read more