Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    At Sea

    January 21, 2015, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We lose a day tonight as we cross the international dateline. We have been moving steadily west which means we "fall back" an hour every few days. This makes the days keep getting longer as we find ourselves getting up very early as we change but the night stuff still starts late so I guess it is a great way to acclimatize. We are now about 6 hours behind home. No jet lag for us on this trip. :-)
    The good part of losing a day is that we really wanted to have a day where we didn't eat too much or drink too much. We now know what day that is going to be, January 21. I am hoping we will be able to have at least one more before we get home. :-)
    As you can see from one of the photos we eat pretty good here. This is from what was called a Lunch and Learn. The chef prepared lunch for about 20 people right there in front of us and explained what he was doing and everything while he made the three courses that passes for a "light" lunch on this ship. The photo is of a smoked salmon appetizer that we are definitely making when we get home. I am not suspecting it will look like this on the plate though.
    We also had a really cool show from some performers from Nuku Hiva. They are a group that is trying to keep the native dances, language and songs alive and they came on board in the evening and put on a great show. Not as gentle as Hawaii and Tahiti hulas but more like a cross between the New Zealand war dances and the traditional hula dance.
    Read more