Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Quite a place.

    September 21, 2019 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Feeling rather flat, we woke up at about 8am and headed off to the buffet breakfast an hour or so later. We were still somewhat shell-shocked but eventually took a bit of a wander round.

    The place dates back about a thousand years and the salt mines first created by the Romans are a major feature of the landscape. The building itself is a big tourist attraction with guided tours running almost continuously.

    Late morning we decided to drive the kilometre or so to the local village of Cardona. From a distance it doesn't look so exciting but when we got there it turned out to be quite a pleasant place. We sussed out a couple of potential restaurants for dinner.

    As befits a place like Parador de Cardona it has a very classy restaurant. We decided to indulge ourselves and dine in. Lots of interesting dishes. We shared a cheese platter with all sorts of accompaniments as a starter and both chose the rare and thinly sliced duck breast with assorted fruit flavours for the main. Excellent desserts followed. All this with a bottle of excellent local red. We haven't had a bad wine here in Spain yet. We're living in a manner to which we'id like to become accustomed.
    Read more