Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Ishigaki - Yaeyama islands in Okinawa

    October 16, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    From the most northern island of Japan (Hokkaido), we are ending our trip 3000 km further south in the most southern island group of Japan, the Yaeyama Islands. Part of Okinawa prefecture with a subtropical climate and a different atmosphere: we noticed that during our first night’s dinner where traditional live folk music was played (Shima-uta) and the waitresses started to dance and sing along.

    For the next few days, we are being hosted by Tokiko in Ishigaki (main island) and in her apartment we noticed an interesting diploma... an Italian sommelier in olive oil. She travels often to Italy to learn about the Italian cuisine and back in Japan she gives workshops... Breakfast with an Italian twist is included!

    A true honeymoon is not complete without white-sandy beaches, sun and clear blue/turquoise waters. This is exactly the scenery in which we find ourselves. First stop is Kabira Bay: not allowed to swim here because of strong currents but holy moly what a nice vistas!! A bit further up north we stop at Yonehara beach for a fresh dive and some snorkeling.
    Read more