Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Iriomote jima

    October 18, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We booked a tour to discover Iriomote island and its beautiful beaches and coral reef. On time to pick up our tickets early in the morning, we are informed that the tour is cancelled due to the stormy weather (a typhoon now in the Philippines should arrive here later in the week...) By the time we have gone through all the options we have, the tour is actually confirmed and we get on the ferry for Iriomote! When we arrive after a long bus ride, it is simply tropical showers welcoming us...

    Luckily, we are also welcomed on the Coffee Boat by our skipper Jun (yay unlimited coffee!!! instant though ... 🤔). As we make our way to Funauki and Ida no hama beach, acknowledged as one of the most beautiful beaches in Japan, the rain stops. We are on for 4 hours of snorkelling in different places. We were extremely lucky despite the constantly changing weather, it is not cold, the water is actually warm and we are spoiled with the under water scenery. So many colourful fish, Jun shows us where to look and how to explore the water to find treasures such as Nemo and Dori and even a big turtle!!! It was simply one of those very special days...
    Read more