Satellite
Show on map
  • The View from Below

    January 6, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We made it to the bottom of the 192 stairs, while oohing and ahhing all the way down and we saw that a little fisherman’s boat was attempting to dock beside a rock ledge. The waves kept pushing it in and out. A couple, who were smiling from ear to ear, jumped out and raved about their experience going with the fishermen into the caves and grottos. They told us that we would love it.

    We decided to grab the opportunity, and quickly and carefully jumped into the rocking boat. That was the beginning of our mini adventure.

    There are numerous boats trips available from Lagos that will take you around the rock pillars, through the natural tunnels and into the grottoes around Ponta da Piedade, but most of the boats are fairly big and can’t fit in the caves. We were in a small boat, and by bending our heads, were able to fit under the arches of the sea caves. How cool!

    The water is wonderfully clear and the bright sunshine filtered through the holes and fissures in the rocks and reflected off the water. It was beautiful.

    The fisherman showed us his catch of fish and octopus and told us the names of many of the formations - the camel, the gorilla, the Titanic, the Sphinx, etc.

    He said that he loved his job and we could tell.
    Read more